Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Mushroom Hunting

On Saturday, my mom and I went looking for mushrooms in the forest with her student Pavel, his wife lucy, their daughter Hannah and her boyfriend from Spain, Diego.

In the Czech Republic it is a tradition for the parents to teach their children how to find edible mushrooms and to stay away from the poisonous ones. While we were driving to the forest I asked Pavel if he thought we would find a many mushrooms, he laughed and said that we would be lucky if we found two. Well, apparently he was wrong because we found so many of them! Seriously, the basket we brought to put our mushrooms in was so full that we had to carry some of them in our hands because they wouldn't fit!

Here's a picture of our harvest:

A Full Basket of Mushroomy Goodness

Here are some pictures of the mushrooms we found. This majestic specimen is good for eating:

Awww Yeah!

This one, not so much, but it's still nice to look at:

Poison! Danger!

The forest was beautiful, and we spent a really nice afternoon there. Afterwards, we went back to Pavel and Lucy's house and she made us a delicious mushroom soup!

We ate it, and survived.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Missy said...

Ummmm good!!!! The mushroom soup sounds yummilicious. How would you rate it on a scale of 0-5?

10:12 PM  
Blogger J.P. said...

Let's see, I think I'll give it a 4. So deffinately not "The Missy Shrug".

12:44 AM  
Anonymous Kate said...

Nice lookin' mushrooms....but I'd still have a pause before I put the soup in my mouth! Glad to know you're still alive!!!

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a lovely picture of u in that faaaabulous shade of plum dress! quite a bundle u got yourself there. i just knooooow u'll be going into the magical mushrooms buisiness. sell me some , please!

5:59 PM  
Blogger J.P. said...

Firstly, that is not me in the "lovely" "plum" dress, and secondly, thank you kate for being happy I'm alive, I had a pause before I put it in my mouth. Though, I totally trust Pavel and his wife because they grew up here and all Czech children learn how to identify the right ones to eat, and they're a totally normal family and, except for their closet full of corpses they're very nice!
LOL just kidding.

1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home