Monday, September 19, 2005

A Painful Bike Ride Through the Scenic Czech Coutryside

Yesterday I went on a bike ride with my mom's student, Pavel through the Czech countryside. While we were driving to the spot where we'd meet up with his wife we discussed the options of trails he had given us, the first was "shorter but harder" and the second was "longer but easier".

When we got to the hill we were supposed to climb I started thinking "I wonder what the shorter but harder one would have been like," because the hill was not overly steep but kept going for a few kilometers (estimation) and was covered in loose mud from the rain the day before.



Long story short our butts really hurt by the end of the beginning part of the ride. It was worth it though, the view from top was spectacular. I could see for miles through the clean Czech air. While we sat and ate our snack at the top of the hill a family went by who said they were hunting for mushrooms. Apparently the knowledge of which mushrooms are poisonous and which are edible is passed from parent to child, it's just one of their many traditions, here in the Czech Republic.

When we returned to town where Pavel and his wife live, we walked up to a park where they kept three huge brown bears. When one came out of the house that was used as their den, it basically looked harmless, and like a huge teddy bear that would collapse from sheer exhaustion. We stayed for a while and walked back to the house and went home for a snack.



What a nice day!

15 Comments:

Blogger dink said...

Hi Jacob,

I'm not quite sure how I ended up at your blog (I was just aimlessly wanderinging) but I'm glad I did.

Interesting stuff here (I know nothing about Prague and I'd like to) and great photos. Did you take any/all of them?

Where did you live before you moved to Prague?

I'm going to come back and read here again!

Best,

dink
http://inkidink.blogspot.com/

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Kate said...

Did you get close to the bear?

10:29 AM  
Anonymous rcjohnso said...

Hey J-
I got totally inspired by your entry, and I went on a hike of my own this morning! I'm sure the view wasn't as spectacular as yours, but I DID find plenty of yummy (and colorful!) mushrooms on the side of the path. I might have walked a little too far too fast though, cause since I got back I've been shivering with cold sweats and a fever, and now I'm seeing black spots blooming in front of my eyes and I'm so cold so cold cant feel my feetgmikglmlklllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds fun! I'm glad you're getting out and seeing the country.

12:21 PM  
Anonymous crazyjaneski said...

Rian, you aren't supposed to eat the poisonous ones. Or the majik ones.

Everyone knows that!

12:58 PM  
Blogger J.P. said...

no, I didn't take the pictures. But I do take some every once in a while except there's a little issue with getting them out of the camera and into my computer since when my mother was in london for a while she lost the cord I needed. brilliant!

Thanks mr/mrs anonymous. I'm glad I'm seeing the countryside, too!

Rian, don't eat the majik mushrooms (often).

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Matt Ambrose said...

Your mom IS a genius about losing shi... stuff. Right? Once, she lost her keys...

... while she was driving her car.

I'm so glad you have a blog now! If only I could find mine under all the cobwebs.

6:44 PM  
Blogger papa said...

Wow, it looks like you've already done some serious exploring. They keep bears as pets?

2:34 PM  
Blogger papa said...

Oh yeah, I really like your site. Good pictures.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

Great blog and I can't wait to read more of your adventures! Sadie misses you tons and always talks about going to see you and your mom.

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even know the way I finished up here, however I believed this post was once great. I don't
unԁeгstand who you're but definitely you are going to a famous blogger in the event you are not already. Cheers!

Also visit my webpage - Learn Me

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Valuable info. Lucκy mе I discovеreԁ your wеbsіte by chance, and I am stunned ωhy this cοincіԁеnce ԁidn't came about in advance! I bookmarked it.

My weblog; RPMPoker Bonus :: ::

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought аbout creatіng an ebook оr guest authoring on other ωebѕites?
I have а blog centеred оn the ѕame infοгmation уou
discuѕs and would really like tо have you ѕhare
some stories/іnformation. I know my rеaders
ωould apρгeciate your work. If yοu're even remotely interested, feel free to send me an e-mail.

my blog: BlackChipPoker Bonus

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog you havе herе but I was curіous about if you knew
οf any message bоаrԁs that coѵеr the sаme topics talked about heгe?
I'd really love to be a part of online community where I can get opinions from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thank you!

my site Red Kings Poker Promotions :: ::

3:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thеse arе aсtually enοгmous іdeas in гegardіng bloggіng.
You have touched some gooԁ things here.

Аny ωay κeеp up wrinting.

Herе is my ωeb page ... RРMPokеr Promotions
()

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home